Thursday, March 11, 2010

The posture of myembodiedself toward the "outside" world that I inhabit is at once aggressive and defensive. The objects of my desire are located out there as well as the objects of my fear. I must grasp what I want and throw out what I don't want. The idea is grow through the eating of food while preventing the food from eating me; technology is the form of eating and defending against being eaten. To eat or be eaten, that is the question. But is there any question?

"Identification, introjection, incorporation, is eating. The oldest and truest language is that of the mouth: the oral basis of the ego. Even in seeing there is an active process of introjection: perception is a partaking of what is perceived (Fenichel); we become what we behold (Blake)." Loves's Body. 165.

It is the process of consumption that consumes us; in the process of eating we become food. It is only in the realization of our desire that our fear is realized. The boundary between myembodiedself and the "outside" world is the source of my ambivalent posture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home