Sunday, February 25, 2007

Writing/reading is both the means of confinement and the means of escape. Having stories read to me as a child, provided me with an escape from what was being written on my body. Then later, when I learned to read, I discovered this solitary world that is a mere reflection of the world written on my body. This world of solitude is necessariy sealed off from the public; while in it one escapes the confinement of what is written on that public body.

Escape is temporary and dominated by the confinement of the public body. In my experience there has been no permanent escape. Is there another approach, or, retreat? Symbolism recognizes that the public body and the solitary body are co-terminus and everywhere contiguous. A symbolic writing/reading throws the solitary and the public together and thus creates another world of experience. It is the seal between the two worlds that symbolic language dissolves. In this other symbolic world the difference between fact and fiction is ambiguous.

It is a grey Sunday morning on Harris Creek, somewhere between the light and dark.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home