Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Mybody is real, myself is fantastic.

" Personality is persona, a mask. the world is a stage, the self a theatrical creation: 'The self, then, as a performed character, is not an organic thing that has a specific location, whose fundamental fate is to be born, to mature, tho die: it is a dramatic effect arising diffusely from a scene that is presented.' The self does not belong to its possessor. ' He and his body merely provide the peg on which something of a collaborative manufacture will be hung for a time. The means for producing and maintaining selves do not reside inside the peg . . . . There will be a team of persons whose activity on stage in conjunction with available props will constitute the scene from which the performed character's self will emerge, and another team, the audience, whose interpretive activity will be necessary for this emergence.' " Love's Body. 90-91. Quoting: Goffman, The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life. 252-253.

I arise in the thin air between other players, and an audience. By hanging myself on mybody I give myself substance, I realize the fantasy of myself; myself is a mask which covers mybody. Reality is mybody uncovered. " The means for producing and maintaining selves do not reside inside the peg. . . ." The fantasy does not emerge from the machinery of reality, rather the fantasy employs the machinery to provide the peg to hang itself on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home