Friday, March 07, 2008

I came to Freud's writings relatively late in my life as a reader. I was led to them by a book written by Norman O. Brown, titled Love's Body. In the multiple readings of this marvelous book, I read my way into another way of reading, different than the previous way. Reading Love's Body taught me how to read the conscious and unconscious process which constitutes any story that a human might tell. If you are not of two minds, you can't read Love's Body.

Freud' writings are an analysis of the human story, writ both large and small. Apes in clothing came to him, asking him to analyze the story they were about to tell him about this experience of being not an ape, but rather of being a character in someone's fantasy. Freud doesn't ask the patient to dsrobe. What Dr. Freud recovers in the fantasies of his patients is the hidden agenda, the unconsious process.

In my experience I am not now, nor have I ever been, an ape. I am not saying, that from some abstract point of view I might not appear to be an ape in clothing, or that such a point does not reflect reality, I am just saying that has not been my experience. I was born into a fantasy, and I am myself fantastic; a character in a story, and a writer/reader of that same story. The story is about more than consciousness will allow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home